Cover letters should be sent with a résumé when applying to a position. It's important to change each cover letter to match the position description you are applying for.
- Do not overuse the word "I."
- Follow a professional business letter - use one space between each paragraph and do not indent paragraphs
- Use the full, typed out date (such as December 30, 2004); do not use 12/30/04
- Address the letter to the person listed in the job posting. If a name is not given, use Human Resources or Hiring Manager (pick one)
- When addressing the letter to an individual, use Mr. or Ms. If you do not know the gender, do not guess! Instead, use the person's full name
- Signature block: include 4 blank spaces for your signature
- Check for content, grammar, spelling and typos before sending!
- Do not forget to sign the letter
- Do not forget to enclose/attach your resume
- Keep a record of your correspondence and the replies you receive
Sample Cover Letter
Download our sample cover letter to get started.